Health trackers, sensible watches, and different wearable know-how are the primary health pattern for 2019, based on an annual survey of well being and health professionals printed within the November situation of ACSM’s Well being & Health Journal®, an official journal of the American Faculty of Sports activities Drugs (ACSM). The journal is printed within the Lippincott portfolio by Wolters Kluwer.
Different notable tendencies within the 13th annual survey embrace the continued rise of high-intensity interval coaching (HIIT), elevated curiosity in hiring licensed health professionals, and rising curiosity in office well being and wellness packages, based on the report by Walter R. Thompson, PhD, FACSM, of Georgia State College, Atlanta, and Fast Previous-President of ACSM. He writes, “The survey was designed to verify or to introduce new tendencies (not fads) which have a perceived constructive affect on the business based on the worldwide respondent.”
Monitoring Traits within the Well being Health Business – What’s Scorching, What’s Not
Carried out annually since 2007, the 13th annual survey included responses from greater than 2,000 well being health professionals from around the globe. Respondents represented all sectors of the business: business, scientific, group, and company.
Highlights of the 2019 annual survey of well being and health tendencies included:
- Wearable know-how returned to the top-ranked place it had occupied for 2 consecutive years, earlier than dropping to quantity three in final yr’s survey. The return of wearables to primary “could also be the results of producers correcting some monitoring inaccuracies of the previous,” based on Dr. Thompson.
- Group coaching, outlined as courses of greater than 5 members, was rated quantity two for the second yr in a row. This merchandise was not too long ago revised to differentiate it from small group private coaching, which was ranked quantity 19.
- Rounding out the highest 5 have been high-intensity interval coaching (HIIT), referring to quick bouts of high-intensity train adopted by a brief relaxation interval; health packages for older adults, which has made a powerful return to the highest 10 in current surveys; and physique weight coaching, which makes use of the individual’s personal physique weight to offer resistance.
- There is a rising emphasis on using licensed health professionals – licensed by ACSM or different nationally accredited organizations. A revised merchandise specifying skilled certification ranked sixth within the 2019 survey.
- An expanded merchandise on worksite well being promotion and office well-being made its first look within the high 20, scoring at quantity 15.
- Traits dropping out of the highest 20 because the earlier survey have been circuit weight coaching, sport-specific coaching, and core coaching.
The November situation of ACSM’s Well being & Health Journal options articles and columns devoted to a number of of the highest tendencies within the 2019 health survey, together with wearable know-how and health apps, HIIT, physique weight coaching, and yoga. The particular situation additionally presents 4 commentaries on the survey findings, authored by internationally acknowledged specialists.
Dr. Thompson emphasizes the worth of the annual survey in appreciating the variations between tendencies and fads within the health business – serving to to make necessary funding choices and programming choices for future progress and growth. The creator concludes, “Whereas nobody can precisely predict the way forward for any business, this survey helps to trace tendencies that may help house owners, operators, program administrators, and well being health professionals with making necessary enterprise choices.”