It’s halftime at Royal-Memorial Stadium. Fifteenth-ranked Texas, its path to the Huge 12 championship recreation inside attain, is main No. 16 Iowa State 17-3.
One of many greatest roars of the night time got here earlier than kickoff and earlier than the Senior Night time ceremony honoring the group’s last house video games for 26 seniors. It was the top of the West Virginia-Oklahoma State recreation in Stillwater, which was being proven on the large display. The Cowboys’ 45-41 win tagged West Virginia with its second Huge 12 loss, proper together with Texas and Iowa State, and the Mountaineers get Oklahoma subsequent week.
However for that lead to Stillwater to actually matter, the Longhorns must handle enterprise tonight. And thus far, they’re.
- The offense is buzzing. The protection has stifled the Cyclones and, for essentially the most half, put the clamps on Hakeem Butler.
Texas seems sharp on offense. Its 5 drives thus far: TD, punt, TD, missed FG, FG
Iowa State’s 5 drives: Punt, FG, punt, interception, punt
- Texas has its working recreation clicking. The Longhorns have 146 dashing yards and are averaging 5.Eight yards per carry. Tre Watson acquired the beginning however Keaontay Ingram has been efficient as properly. Watson, with 9 carries for 70 yards, is averaging 7.Eight yards per carry. Ingram has seven carries for 46 yards, a 5.Eight common, and is main the group with 4 catches, together with a 19-yard landing to make it 14-Three within the second quarter.
- Texas has sacked Brock Purdy — the Cyclones’ freshman who has gone 5-Zero since he was inserted into the beginning lineup — 3 times and has hurried him three extra instances. He’s 6 of 17 for 63 yards and an interception.
- Sam Ehlinger is 12 of 15 for 137 yards and has thrown and run for a landing.
- Butler’s acquired Four catches for 46 yards, averaging 11.5 yards a catch. He’d have 74 yards if a 28-yarder hadn’t been taken away by evaluation.
Davante Davis is being thrown at. Lots. He’s been drawing main protection duties of Butler.
First quarter (Texas 7, Iowa State 3)
Texas: Ehlinger 7-yard run (Cameron Dicker kick, 8:50)
Iowa State: Connor Assalley 40-yard discipline purpose, 4:47
Second quarter (Halftime — Texas 17, Iowa State 3)
Texas: Keaontay Ingram 19-yard move from Ehlinger (Dicker kick, 9:53)
Texas: Dicker 22-yard discipline purpose, :02
Huge moments: First quarter
1. Anthony Wheeler seems like he’s taking his last house recreation severely. He had two tackles on Iowa State’s opening drive, together with a sack on third-and-9 to pressure a punt.
2. Collin Johnson left little doubts on his knee early. He had a high-pointed 35-yard catch on the sideline and a 13-yarder on the primary drive.
3. Caden Sterns had a sack. The Cyclones nonetheless ended up with factors on the drive (a discipline purpose), however seeing Sterns lively early was a optimistic signal. He’s had a few cool weeks since he was named a Thorpe Award semifinalist final month.
4. The primary official evaluation of the night time went Texas’ means, reversing a 28-yard sideline catch by Butler.
Huge moments: Second quarter
1. Chris Brown — Sterns’ backup — made the defensive play of the primary half when he scooped a tipped move off Landon Akers’ arms on a third-and-long. It was reviewed and held up, giving the Longhorns the ball on the Cyclones’ 36-yard line and already main 14-3.
The nice discipline place went for naught, nonetheless. The Horns couldn’t capitalize on the brief discipline with factors.
2. Talking of which, Cameron Dicker missed a 28-yard discipline purpose that will’ve given Texas a 17-Three lead with 5:53 left within the half.
3. Watson’s 39-yard run late within the quarter was Texas’ longest run of the season.
Texas, which received the opening coin toss, will get the ball to begin the second half.
Information on Bevo Beat is free and limitless. Entry to the remainder of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription along with Statesman.com and the ePaper version. Subscribe in the present day at statesman.com/subscribe.
(operate(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = ‘https://join.fb.internet/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&model=v3.2&appId=1658483297707131&autoLogAppEvents=1’;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));