With an abundance of cranberries this time of 12 months, Right here & Now resident chef Kathy Gunst brings in dishes that take advantage of the seasonal fruit to share with hosts Jeremy Hobson and Robin Younger.
Pan Saute Of Hen, Cranberries, Tangerines And Potatoes
This skillet dish combines lots of autumn’s nice flavors. Its taste profile is nice, bitter and savory in all the perfect methods.
Hen items, recent thyme and rosemary are sauteed with potatoes, onions, tangerine items and ruby-colored cranberries in a crimson wine, balsamic honey sauce. All you want is heat, crusty bread to sop up the juices.
- 1 half tablespoons olive oil
- 3-pound hen, minimize into items (I like to make use of thighs and drumsticks, however you should utilize any a part of the fowl)
- Salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 2 tablespoons recent thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons recent rosemary, finely chopped
- Four small or 2 medium onions, peeled and minimize in half, or in quarters if utilizing medium
- 6 small potatoes, scrubbed clear and minimize in half
- 2 cups cranberries, recent or frozen (if frozen, don’t defrost)
- 2 tangerines or small oranges, peeled and separated into sections after which every part minimize in half; take away any seeds
- 1 cup dry crimson wine
- half cup tangerine or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- About 1 half tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of butter (optionally available)
- In a big skillet, warmth the oil over reasonably excessive warmth. Season the hen items with salt, pepper and half the thyme and rosemary. Brown the hen items for about Three to Four minutes per facet, or till golden brown. Take away and put aside.
- Take away extra oil from the skillet, leaving solely about 1 tablespoon. Cut back the warmth to low and add the onions and potatoes, salt and pepper and prepare dinner, stirring, for Four minutes. Add the remaining herbs, 1 half cups of cranberries and stir. Elevate the warmth to excessive, add the wine and produce to a boil.
- Cut back the warmth to low, add the browned hen items, the tangerine sections, tangerine juice, honey and vinegar and stir. Cowl and prepare dinner about 20 minutes.
- Stir within the remaining cranberries and prepare dinner one other 10 to 15 minutes, tossing the hen over a couple of times. Prepare dinner till the hen is totally cooked and the juices run yellow and never pink when pierced with a small, sharp knife. Add butter if you would like a creamier sauce.
- Style for seasoning, including extra salt, pepper, honey or vinegar if wanted.
Hazelnut Cranberry Turtle Bars With Sea Salt
These cranberry bars have a lot going for them: a crunchy texture, candy, gooey caramel, tart cranberries, meaty hazelnuts and a blast of coarse sea salt on prime. Though there are a number of steps concerned, the bars are easy to make and can maintain within the fridge — in an hermetic container between sheets of wax paper — for 4 to 5 days, or they are often saved within the freezer for a month. The inspiration for the recipe got here from Epicurious.
You will have a sweet thermometer for this dish to ensure the caramel is the correct temperature.
- 1 half sticks (3/Four cup) chilly unsalted butter, minimize into 1/2-inch cubes, plus butter for greasing the foil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- half cup packed gentle brown sugar
- half teaspoon salt
The Cranberry Caramel Topping
- eight ounces recent or frozen (1 half cups) cranberries (if frozen, don’t defrost)
- Three cups hazelnuts or your favourite nut (12 ounces), toasted and cooled*
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 half cups granulated sugar
- 1/Three cup gentle corn syrup
- half teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sea salt, like Maldon Salt, for garnish
*Search for skinned hazelnuts. In case your nuts have the pores and skin on, toast them in a 350-degree oven for 12 minutes. Then place the hazelnuts in a clear tea towel, wrap the towel across the nuts and roll them. The pores and skin ought to peel proper off. They will then be chopped.
- For the crust, warmth oven to 350 levels. Line a 15-by-10-inch, shallow baking pan (about 1 inch deep) with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the 2 quick sides. Butter the foil on all sides and the underside.
- Mix flour, brown sugar and salt in a meals processor, then add butter and pulse till the combination seems like very coarse cornmeal. Take the combination and press it down firmly into the ready pan, urgent on it with the flat facet of a steel spatula. Bake till agency to the contact, about 15 minutes; cool within the pan on a rack.
- For the topping, within the meals processor used to make the crust, pulse the cranberries till coarsely chopped; put aside. Add the hazelnuts and pulse till coarsely chopped; put aside.
- Soften the butter in a medium saucepan over average warmth and stir in sugar, corn syrup and salt. Boil over reasonably excessive warmth, stirring often — till the caramel registers 245 levels on a sweet thermometer — for about eight minutes. Fastidiously stir within the chopped cranberries, then boil till the caramel returns to 245 levels, one other 6 to eight minutes.
- Take away the pot from the warmth and stir in vanilla and the hazelnuts till properly coated. Working shortly, use a tender spatula to evenly unfold the caramel topping over the crust. Cool utterly.
- Carry the foil out of the pan. Place it on a reducing board or a clear floor and utilizing a pointy knife, minimize the bars in 30 medium items or 36 small items. Sprinkle flippantly with the coarse sea salt.
Gingered Cranberry Sauce With Pineapple And Pecans
The basic accompaniment to the Thanksgiving turkey, this sauce doubles as a topping for ice cream, pound cake, angel meals cake and butter cookies. Strive spreading this candy sauce in your morning muffin or toast, or on prime of pancakes and waffles.
The sauce can also be the important thing ingredient within the final, day-after-Thanksgiving turkey sandwich: Unfold a number of spoonfuls of this sauce onto thick slices of white or wheat toast, with slices of leftover turkey, stuffing and several other leaves of crisp lettuce.
Makes about eight cups.
- 2 cups sugar
- Four cups water
- 7 cups (24 ounces) recent cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice, ideally fresh-squeezed
- 6 tablespoons julienned orange zest
- 1/Three cup pure maple syrup
- Three tablespoons finely chopped recent ginger
- 1 medium-size pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 half cups chopped toasted pecans
- Combine the sugar and water in a big saucepan and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Boil for five minutes. Cut back the warmth to medium and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, or till the sugar syrup is considerably lowered and turns a pale vanilla shade.
- Add the cranberries and simmer till they start to pop, about 5 minutes. Add the orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup, ginger, and simmer over medium warmth for about 15 minutes, or till the sauce is considerably thickened. If the sauce nonetheless appears skinny, cut back it over medium warmth for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. It’ll thicken while you add the nuts and the sauce cools, however this isn’t a really thick sauce.
- Take away from the warmth and funky a number of minutes. Stir within the pineapple and the nuts and let cool to room temperature. Retailer in a clear glass jar within the fridge for as much as 10 days, or freeze for as much as six months.
As talked about on the air, here is an instance of what a cranberry lavatory seems like: